What is Emotional Intelligence (EI)?
Emotional Intelligence is our ability to be aware of our emotions, to understand why we are feeling a certain way and then to choose how we express and manage those emotions; both in ourselves and in others. EI is about ‘being smart with feelings’.
- Emotions influence decisions, behaviour and performance, which in turn affects our productivity.
- There is a direct link between the way people feel and the way people perform at work.
- In high-performing organisations, people feel significantly more engaged, cared for, valued, proud and motivated than those in low-performing organisations. Conversely, in low-performing workplaces people feel significantly more fearful, stressed, disempowered and uncertain.
- Leaders need to be skilled at identifying, understanding and managing emotions in themselves and others, to help drive the best decisions, behaviour and performance.
Emotionally Intelligent leaders strive to improve their demonstration and application of the core EI skills of; Self-Awareness, Awareness of others, Authenticity, Emotional Reasoning, Self-Management and Inspiring the performance of others. Our ability to work in these ‘productive’ leader states determines what drives performance. When applied in leadership, Emotional Intelligence (EI) facilitates our ability to identify and use emotions, in ourselves and others, to get positive results.
How does having high Emotional Intelligence help you?
- EI is more than twice as predictive of business performance than purely cognitive intelligence, and is more predictive of business performance than skill, knowledge, and expertise.*
- Leaders with higher EI get better team engagement and Teams with higher engagement are;
- 50% less likely to have high staff turnover.
- 56% more likely to have higher than average customer loyalty.
- 38% more likely to have above average productivity.
- 27% more likely to report higher profitability.*
Being Genos certified in Emotional Intelligence provides me with the skills and resources to assist you and your organisation to gain that competitive advantage in today’s competitive work environment; through measurable and learnable strategies. It is becoming increasingly clear that these skills are the foundation of high-performing organisations.
Would you like to know more about Emotional Intelligence and how these skills can help you to thrive in your chosen profession? Contact me for a no obligation 1 hr free initial conversation and find out how EI can help you.