Professional Supervision provides an ongoing one-to-one confidential and trusted space for you to explore work-related issues and the impact that they may be having on you either personally or professionally.
Working as an Inter-professional Supervisor, my clients are busy professionals across the Business, Medical, and Education sectors. Typically they are professionals dealing with heavy workloads and/or high-stress situations. One of the most common results people report from our work together is the sense of calm and clarity that comes from feeling in control of their professional role… Meaning that my clients feel they are on top of their game and thriving professionally.
Professional Supervision is all about you setting the agenda so we work on whatever it is that you want to work on in that particular session. That being said, Professional Supervision encompasses three key areas within the workplace.
- The Administrative function –
Professional supervision is about inspiring you as a professional to step up and be the best possible version of yourself. It is about accountability to your professional identity, your professional body, and your business or organisation. So within the supervision conversation, we look at your accountability around company policies, protocols, ethics and standards within your work environment.
- Examining your professional duties and performance deliverables
- Conflicts of interest you may have
- Conflicts between personal values and organisational responsibilities
- Accountability and the wider responsibilities of your profession
- The Educative function –
The second element of supervision is about generating learning or unlearning. J Christenson once said, “If we cannot question the way we are doing things and thinking things at present, it will not occur to us that they could be thought of or done differently”. Often we get so caught up in the ‘doing’ that we forget to stop and consider a broader perspective. Supervision gives you time to step back and reflect on the way you think in order to explore any prejudices or assumptions that you could be making; so that you can be more effective within your Profession.
Your ongoing professional development
- Identifying skills for further development
- Exploring personal values, and your professional identity
- Effective communication – how to manage difficult conversations
- Authenticity at work
- Barriers to professional growth
- The Supportive function – Tends to the more personal relationship, ensuring that you are supported in areas such as;
- Emotional intelligence (effectively recognising and managing personal responses – yours and others
- Workload management – how to manage in times of high workload and high demands
- How to thrive with feelings of stress, anxiety, low-mood or anger at work
- Assertiveness / Self-confidence
We talk a lot about physical Health & Safety in the business sector, however, there is a gap in how we support emotional wellbeing. The reality is 1 in 5 New Zealanders will experience a mental illness this year and often work-related stresses can be eliminated through regular Professional Supervision… Think of me as a confidential sounding board; An opportunity to pull apart a situation and find a workable solution, enabling you to work with clarity, focus, and confidence.
“Through reflection comes learning and growth”
I offer an obligation free initial consultation so we both feel comfortable that we can work together. Professional Supervision with me can be carried out in person or via Skype.
Employers or Leaders at Work
If you are a leader, there is a wonderful opportunity to provide the right level of support for your people.
A recent Harvard Business Review study found that Happy employees have;
- On average, 31% higher productivity
- Their sales are 37% higher
- And their creativity is 3x higher
Conversely emotionally unwell employees showed significantly;
- Higher levels of sick leave
- Workplace conflict
- And personal grievance
The opportunity to increase workplace well-being while also increasing productivity seems almost too good to be true yet the statistics can’t be denied and certainly, my clients have seen very real tangible benefits. As an employer, you have an opportunity to be seen as an ‘employer of choice’ by providing Professional Supervision on an on-going basis as part of your well-being responsibilities under the Health and Safety Act. Attracting and retaining skilled people in today’s competitive environment will have a significant impact on your economic outcomes AND having a third party professional ‘signing off’ on your wellness as an organisation, reduces commercial risk and places you in the forefront of modern-day business practice.
I offer an obligation free initial consultation so we both feel comfortable that we can work together. Professional Supervision with me can be carried out in person, over the phone or via Skype.
[email protected] | +64 22 600 3658 | Skype: ginamunro